As much as I am an instructor here in İstanbul, what becomes more insistant is that I am here as the student of a city and a culture and a language. But more to the point, it is the city and the culture and the languauge of my wife, and I can’t help but feel that, in meeting this city, I am meeting her again. İstanbul is enchanting, beautiful, romantic, slightly crazy, and full of wonderful complexity. Exactly as I should have known. Exactly.
Oh, yeah, next morning Juli shows up. She wants breakfast, maybe I owe her since she had to walk so far yesterday. Hmm... well, she had an egg and 4 Kofte, grilled crisp, and cheese... and yes she ate the last of the sausages from my hand, and it was sprinkling and she was wet and cold, and I invited her up to my apartment, but she said street dogs weren't allowed up there. I said some time we will break the rule, and she ran up the hill, past the guards' station.
I heard fireworks but couldn't get my camera out the window in time... the were going off across the water.
ReplyDeleteOh, yeah, next morning Juli shows up. She wants breakfast, maybe I owe her since she had to walk so far yesterday. Hmm... well, she had an egg and 4 Kofte, grilled crisp, and cheese... and yes she ate the last of the sausages from my hand, and it was sprinkling and she was wet and cold, and I invited her up to my apartment, but she said street dogs weren't allowed up there. I said some time we will break the rule, and she ran up the hill, past the guards' station.
ReplyDeleteI love Juli!!!
ReplyDelete